Sunday, June 21, 2009

October 6- Goodbye for now


This picture is a little out of order. The cats actually left the states with Michael 3 weeks ago, but I thought everybody would be happy to know that they were FINALLY allowed to enter Korea. Third try is the charm, right? We finally had every obscure document in place, and they passed smoothly through customs on September 16th. Thank heavens! So, you can add Hannah and Symba to our list of world travelers! LOL!
After a far too short but wonderful trip home to the states, we headed back to Korea this morning at 11:20am. Yes, I know I swore after that flight home by myself when they were 5 months old that I would never to do by myself again, but it looks like I'm eating my words.
We had hoped to return to Korea at the end of October, but thanks to Delta and their blackout dates for frequent fliers, we were only able to return to Korea on either October 6th, or November 14th. Michael really didn't want us to be gone for 2 months, and he'd really like the opportunity to spend Halloween with his kids since he missed their first Halloween. I can't say I blame him, but we're certainly sad to say goodbye to our loved ones again.
So, armed with a double stroller, 2 car seats, a diaper bag, a carry on bag, and 2 babies that all had to be carried through security and customs, we headed back home. I think I’ve become a pro at traveling with babies, and vice versa, my children have become excellent little travelers. Of course, the diaper bag, carry on, our shoes, belts, purse, etc. all had to go on the conveyer belt for security. The stroller and car seats had to be hand checked, and the babies had to be carried in my arms through the metal detector. I was a little nervous about getting them both out of the stroller, and not having one run off while I was unlatching the others belt. But they did beautifully. I took Ella out of the stroller first, and she stood very patiently by my side while I got Sterling out. Then we all proceeded through security together…sideways…like a very wide load. We made it to the plane (the very last terminal, of course) in just the right time to pre-board with the other infants. Of course, we had to leave the stroller at the gate, so it was a little tricky getting everything onto the plane with out the aide of the stroller to carry the kids, but wee made it. When we were finally seated in our seats, belts fastened, I felt like I could finally breath again. Whew.
Ella is now just a few hundred miles shy of qualify for a domestic round trip airfare courtesy of Delta’s frequent flier program. I don’t think she cares. She’s just happy baby got to come along for this trip. She knows the trick to beating air pressure discomfort during take off and landing is to give the baby a bottle to suck on…and that’s exactly what she did. She tended to her baby the whole flight! Such an attentive little mommy.
Who doesn’t like to settle in for a 17-hour flight with a good book? Sterling enjoys reading a short story to Ella during our flight.
I have to stop and brag on my wonderful children here. This flight is by far the very best flight they’ve ever taken! They did so well! I was so proud! Sterling was fussing a bit when we got on the plane, but as soon as the engines fired up all that ceased. He reached over and held my hand while we taxied down the runway. As soon as we felt the aircraft become air born, the biggest grin lit up his face. He loved the feel of weightlessness you get as your plane takes off. Then just seconds later his eyes fluttered once, twice, and he was sound asleep. I’ve never seen anything like it in my whole life! Ella fell asleep shortly after he did (she had to tuck in baby and teddy first). They slept for the first 3 hours, and then were up for basically the remainder of the flight. But no once during our entire flight did they break down into tears. I kept them in their car seats for basically the whole flight, except for diaper changes, which I think helped. They never got the idea that it would be fun to walk up and down the aisles. They slept again for the last 1.5-2 hours of the flight, and then were perfect angels while we passed through customs and immigrations. I couldn’t have asked for better babies! I guess they should just about be pros at this whole international flying thing by now, huh?

No comments: