Sunday, June 28, 2009

January 9- Flying the coop


This weekend our wonderful, terrific, best ever friends, Sarah and Kevin volunteered to keep Ella and Sterling while Michael and I ventured away from home…without dumplings! This was the first time in 22 months Michael and I have had a weekend with just the two of us. We were so grateful to our friends for watching the kids. Can you believe what awesome friends we have who would actually volunteer to watch our twin toddlers in addition to their own toddler? Nonetheless we were still a little slow leaving. Poor Sarah, I actually left her with a two page typed, single space letter detailing the kids schedule. Seriously, this letter included such ridiculous reminders as: I use the pink Johnson’s wash for the body, and the Mustela shampoo for the hair. or Sterling only gets the Soothie pacifiers (big round ones) and I usually give them about 3 pacis each in their cribs. Sterling may take longer to fall asleep. If he’s still fussing after 10 min. or so, I go check on him, mostly because he’s probably thrown all his pacis out of the crib. I know, I know, I’m a little over the top when it comes to my kids. It’s not like her daughter doesn’t run on the exact same schedule, or like she hasn’t been a mom for the past 18 months, also! What a good friend; she’s still talking to me after that letter! Michael said no one would ever watch our kids again if I keep leaving such detailed instructions! But Sarah was a doll, and totally understood. When I was lingering in her foyer before leaving (the kids were already occupied playing with Eve and all her toys) she said to me, “it’s like a band aide, you just have to pull it off!” So, we ripped it off, and drove off, leaving our most precious possessions in very capable hands. Seriously, have I mentioned what incredible friends we have?
Our first stop in Seoul included lots of boring paper work we needed to get in order…renewing ID cards, reregistering in DBIDS, applying for a new passport, blah, blah, blah. After taking care of some business (which went very quickly with the kids in tow), we were ready to hit the town. First up, the subway. We can’t ever take the subway with the kids. It’s really too difficult with 2 toddlers who have to be carried up and down all the very steep, and very tall stairs going up and down at each stop or crossover. But it’s so much cheaper not to mention exciting than taking taxicabs everywhere!
Michael didn’t have very much faith in me that I would be able to navigate the rail system. Well I showed him! All those times hopping around on the subway with the girls has left me way too confident in myself. It’s just such effective public transportation. Love it!
Our first fun stop was Dr. Fish. I have been craving that peach tea ever since going there with the girls. And their Belgium waffle really is divine! The fish I didn’t so much miss, but I really wanted Michael to have the opportunity to get his feet munched on by these little piranhas.
It’s so nice to see this macho man flip out over having his feet nibbled on by a few fishies! Don’t you love these faces? I had the hardest time deciding which picture to post…they were all hilarious!
Love it! He was cracking me up, flipping out! I feel so much better now. I guess the only one in the family who isn't bothered by all this is Ella!
Look at those vile creatures! I’m telling you, these fish have never seen a flake of fish food in their lives! They are HUNGRY! Look at how crazy they go at the sight (or is it smell?) of flesh!
Just a fun picture of the Gangnam neighborhood, where Dr. Fish is located. It’s a very neat little area of Seoul with lots of great shopping, eating, and clubs/bars.

Don’t you miss it, Lyndsay? I think Seoul and all of her street vendors (and black marketers!) miss you!
Mug Club Restaurant. After getting our feet polished by the fish we headed over to Itaewon for dinner. We had wanted something aside from Korean food, so Itaewon was probably our best bet. Tonight we checked out this German restaurant, recommended to us by someone earlier today while we were dealing with paperwork. It was pretty good. Actually, for a cold, cold, very cold night (did I mention it was cold out?), it was perfect. The dishes are hearty, warm, and the quintessential “comfort food”. Think pork chops, meatballs, sausages, potatoes, winter vegetables, and gravy. Had we come here any other day of the year, I doubt it would’ve tasted as good. But we were frozen icicles by the time we arrived at the restaurant, so tonight it was delicious!
After defrosting we were finally able to enjoy our night “off duty”. Of course, our main topic of dinner conversation was how awesome we think our kids are, what they were probably doing right that minute, and how we couldn’t wait to get back to them.
Just had to share my Sprite can with you. For those unable to read Hangul, let me translate for you:
Sue-Pra-E-Too
Say it three times fast, and yes, you get “Sprite”!

No comments: