Saturday, June 27, 2009

December 26- Changdeokgung Palace


For Jennifer’s last day in Korea we decided to hit the streets of Seoul. Michael stayed home with the kids so it was a sister’s day out. As much as I enjoyed spending time with Jenn before she flew onto Thailand, I think Michael got the better deal today. It was FREEZING! We had all sorts of great plans for all the places we were going to see today, but the only thing we checked off our list was visiting a palace. Neither one of us could stand the bitter temperatures. Everything was frozen, and the winds just added more insult. While I’m really glad we got to see Changdeokgung palace, I hate that she missed out on seeing any more of Seoul. We spent the remainder of the afternoon holed up in a delightful little Italian restaurant called Sortinos in Itaewon. It was nice and toasty, and the food was delicious! Note to anyone else who might wish to visit us while we’re stationed here: don’t come in the winter! Come visit during the spring when all the cherry trees are blooming, it’s beautiful! So here we are at the beginning of our day, standing in front of Donhwamun (the main gate to Changdeokgung). We were still armed with our Starbucks coffees, so we weren’t little icicles yet!
Injeongjeon Hall. Historic Site No. 122
Changdeokgung Palace was built in 1405 during the Joseon Dynasty. It served as the main palace for 270 years. The palace is probably most famous for it’s secret garden, which was left intact even through the Japanese invasion in 1592. Of course, it was so cold that everything in the garden was frozen and dead during our visit, but I have a feeling it would probably be beautiful during the warmer months. Interestingly, this palace served as residence for members of the last royal family until 1989. The throne hall, Injeongjeon (pictured above), is wear the king conducted his business with foreign envoys, as well as important ceremonies were held here.
The interior of Injeongjeon hall is breath taking and ornate in it’s decoration. In the center is a throne with a sun, moon, and 5 mountains, symbolizing royal power. The whole room is covered in a beautiful draping canopy as well.
I love these little guardians found along the rooflines. They’re always found in odd numbers (3,5,7,9…), and the more guardians found, the more important the building was. They look like little monkeys running along the roof!
I love all the fanciful architecture of these palaces. It never fails to astonish me how different it is from the architecture of Eastern European castles from the same time period, yet they’re equally beautiful in their own rite.
The king and queen lived separately, with him visiting her quarters for the act of procreation. What an interesting marriage that must’ve been.
It’s never dawned on me to ask until just now, but I noticed at the other palace we went to (Gyeongbokgung) as well as this one both have the royal family’s private quarters on stilts. I’m not sure what that’s all about. I can’t imagine it is flood protection. There is a large river that runs through Seoul (the Han River), but I can’t imagine it was a huge flood threat. Perhaps it has something to do with royalty being above the common man? I’m not sure. If someone knows, feel free to message and enlighten me!
I’m starting to freeze in this picture! But at least my feet are warm! Don’t you just love my knock off UGGs? Seriously, the only parts of our whole bodies that didn’t get frostbite were our feet! Jennifer and I didn’t get nearly enough pictures together at the palace. Actually, we took exactly one picture together today. The first picture you saw of us in front of the palace gates is a total fake. I photoshopped us together into one picture. Opps, maybe I shouldn’t give away my secrets! I guess we were too cold to stop moving long enough to pose for a picture. We did take one picture on her camera at the gate to the secret garden. As soon as she gets back to the states I’m hoping she’ll e-mail it to me so I can post it here.

No comments: