Sunday, May 31, 2009

We're back

As you read this, we are back in the good ‘ole USofA. We made it back in one piece, which was no small task (keep reading the blog to find out more about that). We’re all jet-lagged, so the babies are back to waking up at 2am. Why? Why do I keep turning their schedule on its head? Well, I can assure you of one thing, these will be some highly adaptable children!
The first time seeing Mom was shocking to say the least. I didn’t know a person could be so jaundiced. To say she looks a little bit like an Ompa Loompa is just about the understatement of the year. She has a PIC line in her neck so the doctors are able to administer medications quickly, also because her veins aren’t holding up so well after numerous IV’s. She also has a small hole in the side of her stomach to drain out the excess fluids that continue to build up on her liver. She’s out of the ICU and now undergoing the evaluation process to receive a MELD (Model for End-stage Liver Disease) score. The MELD score is the national ranking system used to rank liver candidates based on a number of things, including the urgency to get them a transplant. It’s a scale of 6 to 40, with 40 being the most urgent cases. She’s gone through numerous psychological and social evaluations, more blood work than anyone can possibly keep track of, a pulmonary function test, chest x-rays, CT scans, and tomorrow she’ll have an echocardiogram. On Thursday night her doctors will have a meeting to discuss her potential as a transplant recipient. We should know their final verdict by Friday morning. Pray hard.
We remain very optimistically cautious. The doctor told me today if he was to assign Mom a MELD score today, he’d give her a 38. A 38 says she’s exceedingly sick, but also close to getting a liver should one become available. If she does receive a MELD score, and is given the go ahead to receive a transplant, then we have to begin the waiting game. No one can give us any indication of when a liver will become available for her, and it seems almost horrible for me to pray for a liver, because that means another family has to lose their loved one. I hope if she does receive a new liver, the donor’s family takes great comfort in knowing how amazing and special their loved ones’ last gift was.
I’m back and forth between the hospital and Mom’s house taking care of Ella and Sterling. They’re staying with my long time, very dear friend, Leah, and her two precious girls during the hours I’m at the hospital. They’re being well cared for, but I can’t help but miss them. I’ve spent more hours away from them in the past two days than I think I have in their entire lives! I did get to take them to see their Grandma at the hospital Monday night. We figured surely the nurses would understand they deserved to see their Grandma after they had traveled across the world for her! I think it really lifted Mom’s spirits to see them, and I know she couldn’t get over how much they’ve grown since we left for Korea.
I’m going to attempt to update this blog when I can, but I think for now, it may slow down a bit. I’m just going in so many different directions right now, that finding time to sit down in front of the computer is a little tricky. Please continue to keep Mom in your thoughts and prayers, and hopefully by this weekend I’ll have something good to report.

No comments: