Saturday, May 30, 2009

Living in the ant hill

I'm so glad we drove from Seoul to Waegwan, instead of taking a commuter flight! It was so interesting to see so much of Korea. Waegwan is about three hours southeast of Seoul. Of course, with having to stop and feed/change the babies, it took us more like 4 hours, but I'm still glad we did it. Korea is such a beautiful country when you're not in the cities. But it's the craziest place I've ever been.
Well, first off, I have to say, I'm glad we made it out of Seoul alive. The traffic there is amazing- imagine Atlanta at 5 o'clock on a Friday before a holiday weekend, then imagine that all the other drivers are Asians. Not to be a jerk here, but Koreans are the scariest, and worse drivers I've ever seen in my entire life! There are no traffic cops, only randomly placed traffic cameras, issuing tickets. And get this, if someone pulls out in front of you, they have the right of way! If you hit them, it's too bad, it's your fault! And as a culture, Koreans don't believe in queuing. No kidding. They don't line up! This is not just one of my observations, this is just a fact. You can imagine the traffic nightmare! But we did eventually make it out of Seoul, with Michael driving and me navigating. Again, it's almost impossible to navigate because all the signs are written in Hangul (the Korean national language).
Korea is a very mountainous, and lush green country. So much of the peninsula is still untouched nature. It really is like driving through a rainforest or something. The craziest part is, you'll be driving, and all the sudden come upon a cluster of high rises in what appears to be the middle of no where. It makes no sense to me. There is all this land that is still untouched, but everyone chooses to live in these clustered, polluted, awful high rise cities. Apparently, Koreans don't have that spirit of westward expansion like we Americans do. I guess they don't see all that untouched land and say to themselves, "gees, I think I'd like to move over there and have my own house, with my own piece of land." Nope, instead they live stacked one on top of the other in these high rise apartment buildings. Every city we came to was like that. They build up, not out. It reminds me a great deal of ant hills.
We finally made it to Waegwan, paid our toll to get off the highway, and arrived at our apartment. It was so good to have finally arrived at our ultimate destination, but very weird too. It was weird walking into the apartment and saying, this is home for now. I think that was the first time I felt homesick. I really missed Crest Street at that point, and our spacious home, and beautiful yard. But here we are, in our own little ant hill- home sweet home.

No comments: