Sunday, May 31, 2009

The phone call

I recieved the 1am phone call from Mom this morning saying a liver had become available. Actually, in very "Mom fashion" her exact words were, "How's the weather? They found a new liver for me." How's the weather? Who cares how the weather is?!
So, I called one of Mom's good friends to come stay with the babies, and rushed to get ready. When I arrived at the hospital Jennifer had already beat me there. Then the waiting game began. We kept receiving different surgery times from the nurses. Finally at 9:45am they wheeled Mom down to surgery. Jennifer, Billy and I got to accompany her as far as the operating room door, then we wished her luck and told her we'd see her in a few hours. Right now we're just waiting around, getting occasional updates from the surgeons. She has two surgeons and a whole slew of other people working on her. About 30 minutes ago we were told the old liver is out, and the new liver is in. Now they will begin sewing the new liver in, attatching everything, and making sure it's all functioning at 100%. We think we're probably about half way through the surgery, which we were told would last about 12-hours. I'll attempt to post an entry once Mom is out of surgery letting everyone know she's made it. The prayers seem to be working so far, so please keep them coming!

No comments: