Saturday, May 30, 2009

July 29- An exciting outing

We had the most exciting outing today! We were on our way to Camp Walker to do our grocery shopping, and passed a mall. We always laugh about this mall, because they employ a man to stand outside in a cherry red suite, with rosy cheeks and white gloves whose job it is to bow to every car that pulls into the mall parking deck. We always find it such a riot- he looks like something out of Candy Land! Anyhow, today we just spontaneously decided we’d go to the mall. Why not? Now I’m so glad we did.

First off, the mall is in a high rise, of course, what else is new? Each floor is a different department like fragrances, or women’s clothes, or sporting goods. It reminded me a lot of Printemps, or Les Galeries Lafeyette in Paris. And it was sooooo nice! Perhaps a little too nice for Michael and me who were both in blue jeans with babies strapped to us in our Bjorn carriers? We looked like big time tourists! I was shocked, and so happy to see all the nicest labels you find in the states at a mall like Phipps or Lenox. As soon as we walked in we found Coach, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Hermes, Chanel and the list just goes on! We made it up to the baby department, and it got even better! Michael had to remind me my name was not Posh Beckham, and I really wasn’t going to be dressing our daughter in the Burberry Baby dress I found for the bargain price of 179,000 won ($179). So we decided we might have to look a little harder to find each baby an outfit. We did manage to find them an outfit a piece, but the thing I’m most excited about is the little toy we got them. It is too precious! It’s a little ring stacking toy, but it’s plush, and each ring is a rattle. I’ve wanted to get them a stacking toy, and this one is the cutest I’ve ever seen (just look at the picture!).

I think Michael was impressed I knew how to ask how much items cost. Of course, the problem was, I didn’t understand the answer, but luckily most of the sales people carried calculators, and were happy to show me a number figure on their calculator. The part that I found so bizarre was that you didn’t actually buy any item off the rack. You showed a sales person what you wanted, and then they’d bring you the item in the size you want. That’s not too weird, but they would bring you the item in the cellophane it came in. No kidding. We’re talking very nice, designer clothes, and they gave them to you in the same cellophane package they received them from the manufacturer in. I guess I’m just used to the states, where if you purchase a pair of Seven jeans at Nordstrom’s they wrap them in tissue, and seal them with the Nordstrom’s sticker. Heck, even Target takes their clothes out of the plastic! I guess it’s just a no nonsense, no frills way of doing business.

And let me tell you about how much attention we drew. The twins were the biggest hit. Every person we passed had to exclaim, “sahn-doong-ee.” We just smiled and nodded our heads. You would have thought Ella and Sterling were rock stars, people just kept coming up to us wanting to see the babies. Seriously, we had so many people trying to talk to us, but we of course had no idea what they were saying. But all good things must come to an end, and the babies were starting to wind down, so we had to get out of there. No one wants to see 2 crying rock stars!

No comments: