Saturday, May 30, 2009

The incredible flying babies

By now I think I've spoken or e-mailed most of our friends and family. We had a long, and uneventful direct flight here (or as direct as 16 hours can possibly be). Ella and Sterling did incredible on the flight to Korea with the help of their Uncle Billy, and a very accommodating Delta.
When we arrived at our gate at Harts field, they were already expecting us! No kidding, as soon as we walked up to the line, they came over the speaker and said, "Cornelius, please step forward." I guess we were pretty easy to spot with two babies! So, the wonderful ticket agent at the counter actually arranged for us to take a group of 6 seats backing up to a bulk head. That has to be the greatest deal we've ever received- pay for 3 tickets, receive 6 seats! Needless to say, Billy and I were incredibly relieved and thankful. So, we boarded the plane at 10:30am on June 26th. The babies just stuck to their eat, play, sleep schedule, and we really had very minimal tears. Even their Uncle Billy, who wasn't exactly looking forward to this flight, was impressed with how good they were.
We did have one break down from Ella. Apparently she's a little afraid of Korean women. I can't say I blame her. Koreans LOVE babies. They're also very animated when cooing to and talking to babies. And twins are an incredible novelty. I thought we drew a lot of attention in the states- it was nothing compared to the attention twins, or as they're called in Hangul (Korea's national language) sahn-doong-ee, draw here! So, on the flight, we had a large group of Korean women sitting all around us, and they were just dying to hold a baby. Of course, there was a huge language barrier, but they kept motioning for me to hand them a baby. So, at one point, Ella was in a smiley mood, so I let one of the ladies hold her. No sooner had I passed that baby off, than did that bottom lip pop out and start to quiver. The shriek she let out would have made you think she was being hung by her toes! I think she was just a little overwhelmed by their excitement.
Please keep coming back, I'm going to try to keep this blog updated as much as possible with notes on the twins, our life in Korea, and some pictures. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

No comments: