Saturday, May 30, 2009

I love these kids

Well, of course I love Ella and Sterling, but I love our two little neighbor boys too! Last weekend Michael told the two little boys from the third floor that if they helped him take out some trash, he’d give them money to buy an ice cream. So, they very happily agreed. When they were finished he gave them 5,000 won to split, and they were ecstatic. Well, as I learned on my walk the other day, the little store just up the road from our building sells ice creams and popsicles for 500 won (50 cents). No wonder they were excited to be given 5,000 won- that’s a lot of ice creams! Today the little boys were back knocking on our door, asking if we had any bags to go to the trash pile. So, I offered them a 1,000 won for taking out a bag of trash, and they happily agreed to the arrangement. It’s well worth it to me to pay them 1,000 won ($1.00) to carry our trash down 5 flights of stairs. I can think of a few children we know in the states who would definitely decline the offer to carry the trash down the stairs for 50 cents a piece. I just hope I’m not breaking any child labor laws!

No comments: