Saturday, May 30, 2009

An energy conscience society

As I'm starting to get adjusted to life in our new country, I'm noticing all the differences between here and the states- and there are plenty of differences! Korea is a very energy conscience country. Actually, the US would do well to take a que from Korea in some respects. I guess they have to be energy aware since they don't appear to be using any natural resources for energy, and they're not a very big country. Probably just a little bigger than the state of GA, size wise. So, I suppose whatever fuels they can get from other countries are coming in at a premium.
A liter of gas here runs about 2,000 won. That's about $2.00- for a liter! So, needless to say, owning a car is considered an impressive luxury. Koreans pay a lot of money for their junker sedans they drive. The taxes on vehicles keeps a lot of people from owning a car. Luckily, the Army allows E-5's and above to own a vehicle, which is titled on the Army base (US soil), so you don't have to pay the same fees.So, we are the proud owners of a Daewoo Prince. It shakes, it rattles, and it rolls. But it gets from point A to point B just fine, so we're glad to have it. When we're driving around in it, we always laugh and say we feel a little like the Flintstones. Perhaps we'd go a little faster if we used our feet to peddle the car?
Also, all of their highway systems are on tolls. When you get on the on ramp to the highway, you pick up a toll ticket. Then when you exit the highway, there's a toll booth on the off ramp where they calculate your toll. I'm not sure how much it costs per kilometer, but I know when we go to Camp Walker in Daegu, which is about 30 minutes down the highway, it costs 1,400 won, or $1.40.
Other energy saving things.......
There's no central heating and air- anywhere! Ugh. I thought I knew what hot and humid summers felt like, growing up in "Hotlanta." I had no clue! The temperatures here are pretty equivalent to the southeastern United States, but they have this little thing here called monsoon season. And we happen to be right in the middle of it. I never knew what humidity was until now. Lets put it this way, one day it cleared up after a typhoon blew out some of the clouds (I really am not kidding here), and I realized that looking out my window I could actually see mountains in the not too far distance. All I had ever seen there before was gray cloud cover! Yes, Leah Newett, you would just die here! So, now the world's best dress babies sit around in their diapers or onsies in front of fans. I guess this winter they'll go from being naked babies to being well bundled babies. Luckily we own one of the greatest inventions by LG ever! It's this thing called the Whisen. It's this towering metal box that stands in the living room, and when you turn it on, it opens up and blows out beautiful, wonderful cool air. Of course, it costs an arm and a leg to run the thing, so Michael is somewhat fussy about turning it on. But everyday while he's at work, I turn it on while the babies are napping. So there they sleep in their swings, with cool air blowing on them. I think he's going to kill me when we get our next electric bill!
Another funny thing that I've never thought twice about is hot water. We have this button on the wall in the master bedroom, that you have to press for hot water.

If you want hot water for anything from showering to washing dishes or brushing you teeth, you have to turn it on. Of course, the problem with that is, you also have to turn it off, which I am awful about remember to do. Again, Michael is going to kill me when we get out next electric bill.
And of course, there is no dishwasher. I despise doing dishes by hand. I've always said that's the one thing I couldn't live without. And here we are washing dishes in the sink. Oh I just hate it! Ashley Leigh Lewis- I know you're snickering right now. Still want to come and visit?
They also conserve energy in public places. For example, the lights in our stairwell in our apartment building are on motion sensor. So they don't come on until you reach the next landing. A little scary, but a good step for conserving energy. Oh, and we don't have an elevator, and we live on the top floor. So, we get to hoof it up the stairs with babies in arms. Luckily, we live in a building that is only 5 stories tall.
And hotels do something here that hotels in the states should really consider doing. Your room key card activates the electricity in your hotel room. When you go into your hotel room, you have to insert your room key into a slot on the wall to be able to turn on your lights. That way when you leave, and take your key with you, the lights won't be left on. It's actually a pretty good idea.
The very best trick of all has to be the refrigerator. When you leave the door open our refrigerator, which is made by Samsung, sounds an alarm. Now I know that's not that special, and plenty of refrigerator's in the states do the same thing- but not like this! Instead of just making a beeping noise, or a chime, it plays "oh, Suzanna." Why "oh, Suzanna?" I have no idea! But it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen! So, sometimes, I just go stand in front of the fridge with the door open to cool off and hear a little melody. Sooo funny.

No comments: