Saturday, May 30, 2009

July 14- Mommy's day off

This post should have been posted before Ella rolled over, but I was so excited, I got ahead of my self. I had a wonderful day "out on the town" with two of Michael's co-workers, Analisa and Sarah, today.

It was so nice- first we went for facials, then we walked around the market. It's very interesting. We have this market in the middle of town were you can buy all sorts of foods from the local farmers and fishers. The front part of the market has all sorts of delicious fruits and vegetables. Analisa bought these things, I'm not sure what they're called, but the were yellow/red, and tasted like a plum. They were really delicious. One farmer had these large white skinned peaches. They looked so good, but they wanted 10,000 won for 3. So, that would be like paying $10 for 3 peaches. I didn't buy any, but now I'm regretting it- I'll bet they were delicious. That's one thing about Koreans, they take a great deal of pride in the produce they grow and sell. If you buy any produce from a local farmer, you can guarantee it just came off their land today, and it will be perfect. It will taste like nothing you've ever tasted before. But I'm learning that you have to buy in season too. This isn't;t America where you can buy hot house strawberries in December. When we first arrived, Michael bought us a watermelon. It was sooo good. Seriously, it tasted like watermelons taste in your dreams, but he paid 15,000 won for it! Yup, it was a $15 watermelon. Yikes! Well, now every farmer in the market has watermelons for sale for 3,000 won. Should've just waited and bought it in season. I can't wait for those peaches to come into season!

As you move further back into the market, you really have to hold your nose, and try to forget what you're seeing. Fishermen sell fish, and farmers sell pork and poultry. Which would be fine, but this stuff is very fresh meat that has been sitting out in the heat all day. And not necessarily on ice. Seriously, the smell makes you want to vomit. It's no surprise bird flu is a concern in Asia. I'm surprised they haven't all killed themselves eating this meat!

After our walk through the market we went to a Korean bar-b-que restaurant. It was off the beaten path, and Michael and I certainly would have never found it. Luckily, Analisa's husband is from Korea, and she speaks an incredible amount of Hangul. She doesn't give herself enough credit for how well she is able to communicate. I hope I can become half as fluent as she is while we're here. Anyhow, this restaurant was very yummy. I had something there that may very well exist in the states, I've simply never had it there. Pineapple Fanta. Yup, that's right Pineapple. It was so good! Like I said, I'm not sure if they have that in the states or not, but if they do, I highly recommend you rush out to buy some- you'll love it! In fact, I've been craving it ever since!

So, like all good things, my day out came to an end, and I headed home to find a frazzled Daddy. Apparently, Sterling had cried for about 2 hours straight, before finally taking a nap. And Ella had been asleep for 4 hours. I guess once Michael got Sterling down, he didn't want to wake Ella up. I had left some milk for Michael to feed the babies, but I don't think that worked out too well. He gave them little 4 ounce bottles, which just doesn't cut it with them anymore. They really need about 6-7 ounces if they take a bottle. But again, when Michael left to go back to Korea, they were still only taking a 2 ounce bottle when they had a bottle, so he's not quite used to giving them such big bottles. So, both babies were pretty hungry, and probably glad to see me. Of course, then Ella spent the night waking up, since she'd slept all day. But overall, Daddy did a good job taking care of his babies, and Mommy certainly appreciated the day off! Thanks honey!

No comments: