Saturday, May 30, 2009

July 25- A lovely dinner invitation

Tonight we ate dinner at the home of one of Michael’s co-workers. He and his fiancé, Mijin, were such gracious hosts, and we had a lovely time. It was great getting to experience Korean foods in a casual setting, where people were able to explain to me what I was eating. And it was all so delicious! In fact, it was all so good that I really was thrilled when they offered us a plate of leftovers to take home with us. We had these delicious balls of sticky rice with pieces of carrots, and green onions, and bits of steak in them. That may all sound odd together, but it was very yummy (see picture above). We also had kabobs, with yellow and red peppers, a piece of pork, and rice cakes on the skewer. Oh, and rice cakes have nothing to do with cake! It’s hard to describe these rice cakes. They’re these white tubular shaped things with a chewy, waxy outside. They’re not bad; they just taste like rice, just with a different texture. We also had a beef entrée, and a spicier pork entrée. I tried the pork, but it was just a little too spicy for my tastes. I’m learning that anything red in Korea is going to be hot. Our nephew, Logan, would love it here, with all the spicy foods they eat. On the other hand, I really liked the beef entrée. It was very good, but I wasn’t sure how to go about eating it. Luckily, our hostess was very gracious and helped me by cutting my meat with scissors. That’s something very funny about Korea. Every time we’ve eaten in a restaurant, and then tonight at this co-worker’s house, if you need your meat cut, they cut it with scissors. I’m not sure if they simply do not have knifes for cutting food here? Anyhow, we had a wonderful time, and I really appreciate their kind invitation.

No comments: