Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mom update for Wed. Aug.15

Unfortunately there's really not too much to update.

She still hasn't been able to transfer to Emory. She continues to receive whole blood, plasma, and platelets. They have to get her blood to safe levels before they feel comfortable with her taking the 20 minute ambulance ride across town. I was able to speak with her briefly this morning before my international call time ran out. She said her stomach is starting to get pretty painful again- not good. It's so hard talking to her. I miss talking to my vibrant, energetic, (sometimes sarcastic) Mom. The liver failure is causing her to be slightly disoriented. I don't mean she doesn't know who or where she is. It just changes her speech habits, and slows her train of thought. This is called encephalopathy. Once she gets a new liver it will go away. We just have to get her to Emory so she can get started on the process of waiting for a liver.

All this blood Mom's receiving makes me think I should post a service announcement on this blog: If you've got it in you, and we all do, please give it! Please donate blood if you're able; you never know how precious it is until you or someone you love is in a position of need.

No comments: