Saturday, May 30, 2009

Asking for prayers

I'm asking for your thoughts and prayers yet again. People are going to stop coming to this blog site if I keep making so many requests! But as Becky May very wisely said today, prayers really do work. And she should know, her son Max is a shinning example of that.

This time I'm asking for your prayers for my own Mom. Right now she's in the ICU at Gwinnett Medical having complications with her liver. She's had liver problems for a number of years now, and has been closely monitored the past couple years for liver cancer. Until now, she's been in excellent health, and you'd probably never know there was anything wrong with her. Which is why this sudden turn in her health is even more unsettling. Within the past week she became very jaundiced, and started feeling ill and suffering some pretty sever edema. Her GI doctor made the decision to admit her to the hospital on Tuesday morning. Since then she has been closely monitored, and began receiving plasma to help thicken her blood, as anemia is a problem when your liver takes a hit. Thursday night her blood pressure began to drop, and she became incoherent, so she was moved to the ICU. The nurses explained it's probably a blessing in disguise that she's out of it right now, or she'd be in some pretty bad pain. Once she stabilizes, her doctor would like to move her to Emory Hospital to await a liver transplant.

Right now that's all I know about the situation. My younger brother, Billy, has been handling all the communications with the doctor and keeping me informed as he becomes aware of anything. I have no idea what the status on her health will be by tomorrow, but right now I'm very concerned for her. If she does move to Emory, I'm not sure if we're talking an immediate transplant as soon as a liver becomes available, or if we're talking sometime down the road. It's really unclear at this point. I'm just asking for everyone to keep my Mom in your thoughts and prayers during this time. I don't even want to imagine her not being around. I think you may need your own mother the most once you become a mother yourself!

No comments: