Saturday, May 30, 2009

Like a farmer's market just outside your door

When we first arrived in Waegwan, I was tired from traveling so far in just a few short days, and more than just a little weary and unsure of what life would be like in this country. As I stepped out of the car, the very first thing I encountered was a truck loaded with garlic, and a Korean shouting through these blaring speakers mounted on the truck. To say I was a little overwhelmed would be a serious understatement. This has now become a very normal part of everyday life.

Every morning and afternoon, the farmers drive through the city in their trucks, with bull horns and speakers attached to the top, selling whatever they grow, raise, or catch. It reminds me of the ice cream man. They call out over their speakers what they’re selling, and for how much. If they’re selling something you need, you just walk out of your apartment and buy it. And these speakers are loud! You can hear them very clearly from inside the apartment. I, of course, have no idea what they’re saying, so I go out on our balcony, and look down into the trucks to see what they have. They bring in a whole variety of foods, including peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, corn, fish, anchovies, even chickens and pork.

I’ve recently learned how to ask “how much?” in Korean, ul-my-oh, so perhaps I’ll be able to buy some produce from one of the farmers soon. But not anchovies- yuck!

No comments: