Thursday, July 9, 2009

May 1- Preparation


All of Korea is prepping for Buddha’s birthday this weekend. All the temples are displaying strings of lanterns and dressing up for the big day. This is the temple just down the road from our house.
This is something I’ve been meaning to post on here since the first trip we made to Korea when the dumplings were only 3 months old. Notice the symbol in the top left corner of this sign? This is the sign for the Buddhist temples in Korea. All over Korea you see what I’ve known my whole life as swastikas. I have to say it was extremely difficult to see what to me represents hatred and suffering for millions of innocent people the first time I saw this symbol outside a temple, and it hasn’t gotten any easier in the nearly 2 years since. This ancient Buddhist symbol whose name is derived from the Sanskrit word svasti, signifies auspiciousness and good fortune containing the Buddha's heart and mind. The symbol the Nazi’s adopted turns in the opposite direction of the Buddhist symbol. I do wonder why a group of anti semantics would choose a symbol traditionally found in Asian and Indian cultures to represent them. Doesn’t it seem at odds? Anyways, I’ve always wanted to post a picture of the Buddhist swastika on here. I’m sure it will shock you no less than it shocked me the first time I saw it.
Ella and Maddox exchange flowers from across the distances. True love!
Leaving no dandelion unpicked in Korea.
Dreaming of summer and looking forward to the day when this pool is cleaned and filled.
This evening we went to our favorite Korean restaurant. Hey Lyndsay and Sarah, did you know that place has a name? It’s called “High Meat”. Sounds delish, huh? We’ve become such regulars over the course of our time here that the waitresses have started commenting on how big Ella and Sterling are getting each time we return. Michael and I were reminiscing in awe over the first time went out to eat in Korea. The kids slept peacefully in their little car seat carriers while we ate. We couldn’t even order for ourselves! Michael had to call his friend Peter, a Korean American, to order for us! Now we’re pro’s. We (or more correctly, I) can order whatever we want, make small (very small) talk with the wait staff, and those sleeping babies, well they’re sitting at the table beside us eating seaweed, rice and tofu. It’s amazing how much has changed! Another thing that has changed is how much Sterling LOVES the trampoline outside. Last year he wanted nothing to do with the trampoline when Ella, Evie, and Emma were jumping. This year he hopped right up and started bouncing away with glee. I’m sooo happy about that!
Don’t you love Korean jungle gyms? I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, this country has a really bad case of the “it’s so cute’s”. Every schoolyard has one of these character topped brightly colored play sets. Love it!

1 comment:

Love, Strength, Hope said...

The 'swastika' is all over Vietnam as well.

So glad you are getting closer to real time on your blog -- I cannot wait!!