Thursday, July 9, 2009

April 28- Wonju in bloom


Korea is in full bloom right now. Everywhere you look there are shades of pink, purple, yellow, white (not snow) and green. It’s beautiful. I don’t know what kind of tree this is. I’m sure someone out there does, and if they feel the need to enlighten me, please message me. In any case, these trees are all around Korea. Seriously, they’re EVERYWHERE! The upside to this is purple is my favorite color and I’m seeing a lot of it these days. Just thought I’d share a few pictures of Wonju in bloom.

I can’t smell a lilac and not think of my mother. I walked past this lilac plant today and the scent stopped me dead in my tracks. I didn’t even know this was a lilac bush. Did I mention I’m not an arborist? We had a lilac bush outside our home that my other tended to all the years I was growing up. When it would bloom she’d snip a few buds off and bring them into the house, filling the kitchen with their spring fresh smell. One of my favorite Yankee Candle scents is lilac. And at our wedding my bridesmaids carried lilac in the bouquets. I guess it’s a bit of a lifetime love affair that is founded in the memories of my mother’s lilac bush. And so today, from 7,000 miles across the ocean to the other side of the world, this bush and it’s smell made me miss my mother. I love you mom.

No comments: