Wednesday, July 8, 2009

March 20- Going for a stroll


I’m afraid our days of leisurely stroller rides are coming to an end. Don’t get me wrong, Ella and Sterling still ride very nicely in their stroller in public, but going for a walk these days doesn’t necessarily mean bringing the stroller along. Or at least not their stroller. Actually, I really love it! They love walking down the street and stopping to pick up a rock, pluck dandelion or look at a bug crawling. It’s so much fun exploring the world through their eyes. Today when we went for our walk they wanted to take the babies long with us. We had great fun going for a walk around the neighborhood pushing strollers. Such a good little mommy and daddy!
Ella loved showing her baby off. She’d stop periodically during our walk to readjust baby in her seat, or to pat her head and say “aww, how sweet.”
Why is it the daddy always has to push the double stroller? Good thing this little boy is obliged to push it! He gave baby a few off roading trips during our walk. He made sure to walk over every rough gravel patch, straight through every puddle, and occasionally he tried hopping the curb. Hold on tight baby doll!
We’ve had a real dilemma during our walks lately. Ella and Sterling still haven’t fully grasped that Evie is gone. It’s very sad. Every walk we take, they immediately make a b-line towards her old house. Ella brightens up and starts shouting “Bebe” (her nickname for Evie) and Sterling starts saying and signing, “play”. They have had a few fits when I’ve had to turn them away from Evie’s old house. Poor things, they miss their BFF. I understand completely. I miss Sarah terribly too. I know they’re settling nicely into their new home in Colorado, but their old home in Korea sorely misses them. It’s such a sad sight now. Sometimes when I look down the street in the late afternoons I still catch myself thinking I wonder if Sarah is busy preparing dinner or if she’d like some company?, then I realize that Sarah is in fact a world away sleeping. It stinks being the ones left behind. We’re always the ones doing the moving away, onto our next adventure. It’s no fun when you’re the one watching your friends leave! We miss you guys so much and look forward to seeing you again some day! Things just aren't the same in the Wonju-si without you!
Children of the corn. Does anyone remember that scary movie? With the murdering platinum blonde headed kids with the very blunt haircuts? I’m afraid that’s what I’ve done to Ella. I’ve given my daughter a horror movie haircut! Opps! Good thing hair grows, right? Oh well, still a cute picture of my child of the corn.
Daddy's home! Michael made it in from the field last evening. Needless to say, Ella and Sterling were very happy to see him. They really miss him when he’s gone (and I know he misses them even more). We all do! He still had to go into work this morning, but when he got home this evening the fun began! We love the little bubble machine Declan sent for the kids’ birthday! It’s the best bubble machine ever! It was a perfect evening for catching bubbles on the deck!


Catching bubbles. Sometimes it’s trickier than you think.
On…off…on…off. I think Sterling loves the on/off button on the bubble machine more than he loves the bubbles themselves! He’s fascinated with his ability to make bubbles at his discretion.
Michael took lots of pictures while his battalion was in the field for a training exercise. This exercise is being held peninsula wide, encompassing all the service members stationed here. The object behind the training is to simulate what the response would be if North Korea ever launched an attack on South Korea. It’s a crucial training, verifying the readiness of both American and Korean troops. What has this meant for me? An increase in military police patrol on our base…in other words, a real pain in the rear. What has this meant for Michael? A week in a tent, eating MRE’s and playing war. In the above picture he’s training Korean troops in combat patrol techniques. I often wonder when I see these two Armies working side by side how many of these young men and women’s grandfathers and possibly great-grandfathers fought side by side together during the Korean war.
Wait, hold your fire! Did no one ever tell Michael it’s not a good idea to walk in front of fully loaded, automatic weapons pointing in your direction (that's him to the far left)? I’m glad these soldiers had a steady hand! Sheesh!

No comments: