Friday, December 18, 2009

August 8- Leaving on jet plane

So this is it. The last time I'll ever lay eyes on the Camp Long main gate.

Or the Wonju exit toll booth.

Or the stupid toll ticket we're always in a scramble to find when we get to our destination.

Over 2 years later and Korea looks and feels for the most part just as it did when we arrived in June of '07. It's still miserably hot and monsooning. But so much has changed in these last two years. Those tiny little 3-month-old babies are so big! They walk and talk and become more like little people and less like babies every day. And this country, oh what a place it has claimed in my heart! The people, the history, the culture, the smells and sights, the food. I have been forever changed and for that I am eternally grateful.



As the plane took off, headed to the next leg of our journey through life, the children had no idea they were seeing the place they've called home for the majority of their lives for what is probably the last time. I'd like to think that we'll return for a visit some day, but Korea is a long ways from home, and I don't really know if we ever will. As the plane lifted off, a few tears rolled down my cheek. I'm pretty heart broken to say goodbye to you, Korea.

I need to add that this was one of the easiest flights I've ever made with these two. We were traveling just the three of us (Michael will join us in October), plus the two cats in their carrier. It goes without saying, I was dreading this being a bad experience. Our flight took off around dinner time, and as soon as we were airborne, Sterling was out like a light. Something about take off always puts him to sleep! Ella stayed awake for the dinner service and then went to sleep. Sterling continued to sleep for about 8 hours, then woke up for a breakfast service. He stayed awake for about 2 hours, then went back to sleep and I had to wake him when we landed. Ella woke up about 2 hours before we landed. Seriously? How did I get so lucky? They SLEPT for 90% of the flight! When we landed in Atlanta we were deboarding the plane and 3 businessmen who were seated behind us on the flight saw how many children/animals I was traveling with and said the couldn't BELIEVE it! They hadn't heard a peep the whole flight! Talk about the biggest compliment ever!

No comments: