Saturday, October 8, 2011

September 2011

I got to attend Sterling's first field trip to the UNA library. I think I was chosen for this honor because his teachers seem to be terrified to have an epileptic child in their class this year. No matter how many times I assure them he hasn't had a seizure in very close to a year, I think they're still waiting for him to drop in a seizure. Better to be prepared than taken by surprise I suppose. And his records are kind of scary when you consider at one point the boy was in fact having 100's and 100's of seizures a day.





But today he is no longer seizing. Today he is just a little boy who took a walking field trip with his classmates...


And what an unbelievable blessing that is! I remember the first thoughts that ran through my head when he was diagnosed with Doose syndrom. The doctor handed me some paper work on the disorder and the first thing I read was, "patients often suffer severe mental retardation as a result of frequent seizures." I crumbled. All my hopes and dreams for him became something that I thought would be unatainable.


I didn't think I'd ever have the pleasure of seeing him in a typical classroom full of his peers enjoying himself and thriving. Guess even I underestimated Sterling! He is an amzing little miracle, and it is with great pride that I watch him be everything I ever wanted him to be...a little boy.


Enjoying one last opportunity to swim. Fall seems to have come early this year. I was counting on warm days until October, but by the beginning of September the temps started to drop.


Like their blue lips? Brrrr!



It may not be Sterling's birthday, but he sure does love a good party!



Ella was invited to another princess dress up party for a little girlfriend. I guess we're officially entering the stage where they will now be invited to parties without the other twin, especially now that they're in separate schools. They seem okay with the idea. Funny, every time they become less "twin" like, and more individuals, they're fine with it, but I'm a little sad.



All dolled up. She loves these kinds of parties!





Girls just want to have fun...



With her sweet little friend Maria, whom she has been in class with for two years now.



What pretty little girls. I couldn't help but be awed during the party at how many sweet and pretty little girls we know. They really are all such little darlings and such great friends with each other. It makes me so happy that my children have such kind friends in their lives.



Dance party! I think all the girls had fun, don't you?



All the pretty divas...



This is Michael and I's newest accomplishment- we built the kids a playground! Yes, you read that correctly, >I< helped build this stinking thing. I drilled countless boards in place, assembled ladders, climbing walls, etc. It took us an entire weekend, but it was well worth it. The playground is phenomenal, and the kids love it.



Some of us immediately found a new way to go down the slide...head first. Hey, it's not like I've spent the past nearly 2 years of his life fighting to protect that brain or anything!



The kids are old enough to join the Cherub Choir at our church this year. Can I tell you how my heart swelled with pride watching them sing in church for the first time? They were magnificent!





Aren't our little cherubs simply angelic?



Sterling thoughts on this whole choir business?



We attended a family picnic at Sterling's school. I'm so pleased with all the opportunities Kilby offers for family involvement in the classroom. We loved meeting the other children in his class (the few we didn't already know!) and their parents, and getting a glimpse of all the fun things they're doing at school. Ella was in love with the class bunny rabbit. Talk about a docile animal, being handled daily by 18 pre-k'ers.



I am so, so proud of how far Sterling's drawing has come. Seriously, in the past couple of months he has had an explosion where his fine motor skills are concerned. He's drawing figures now and loves coloring and shows a great deal of concentration when coloring. I've been waiting for this moment and now that it's here, I'm so proud! Below is a picture posted on the bulletin board at school...Sterling, Daddy and a car. Look closely, you'll see it.



And a painting (done with a stencil). I know his occupational therapist would be as proud as I am. The sun in the sky is all his...






On September 22, we had the very special honor of atteneding Michael's retirement ceremony. After 20 years and 9 months worth of Army service, he has finally retired.



This is such a huge accomplishment for both Michael and our family as a whole. I keep reflecting back to 2001 when he signed his career enlistment, promising to serve a minimum of 10 more years. All the things that have happened in those ten years! The places we've lived, the people we've met, the people we've lost too soon, and of course the people we've gained (namely our children!). It feels like a lifetime has fit into these last ten years. Michael has remained a dedicated and loyal professional soldier. The Army is loosing a good one today. So with one more oak leaf and a hand shake we will step into the next journey in our life together. Congratulations honey, I'm so proud of you.


Thank you so much to the friends and family who came out to support and honor Michael on this momentous occasion. I'm sos sorry I didn't get pictures of everyone, but know that it meant so much to us to have you there.






Sterling started a new soccer season. This year we are trying the Upward Sports league, and so far I am VERY pleased. As opposed to the park and rec team he was on last year where he really fell between the cracks, Upward is a Christian league and the focus is on developing the individual. It doesn't hurt that the team is made up of half his good buddies and coached by my dear friend, Janella!



How sweet are these little boys? I love that they're still young enough that they want to hold hands before they run on the field.



And he kicks...



He may not score, but I'm proud of him every day he gets out there and tries his best to stay in the game. After the first game, he came off the field a little sad. I asked him what was wrong and he said, "they're not sharing the ball with me." That explains a lot about my poor sweet boy. He's never going to get in there and steal the ball from anyone, but at least I know I'm raising a kind hearted boy!






This year Sterling got to ride on the Kilby float in UNA's homecoming parade (the school is part of the college). Ella would have been allowed to ride with us, but refused saying she "didn't want ot fall off the float". So instead, she sat along the parade route with Grammy, Maddox & Lucy and caught candy. Guess she'll have to work on that fear if she ever wants to be Miss Florence or whatnot! Hahaha.





Sterling loved naming off who he saw on the parade route, but his favorite sighting of all? Ella. He went crazy waving to her when he saw her.








We had our first introduction to clowns, and despite Ella's face in the below picture, they really were a hit. She was hoping to see them again the following weekend.



Catch a tiger by his toe...



My little Kilby cub.


And of course, my beautiful butterfly. You know she was devastated to wash her face that night. Can't say I blame her! Who doesn't love a sparkly butterfly on their face?



This was one of the longest Saturdays ever! A soccer game, a parade, a school picnic and a birthday party, but they're little troopers and hung in for a little more fun. We attended a super hero birthday party where they all entered super hero school.



After passing a rigorous course, they were awarded their capes, cuffs, and eye masks. I'll tell you what, some moms really put the rest of us to shame with their creativity in planning their children's birthday parties!



And now that they were bona fide super hero's, they were ready to take down the super villain.



Yes folks, it was a fun September.




No comments: